Sunday 20 March 2011

Saying a Fond Farewell

The Pearl has fallen and has made many shed a tear for the majestic monument that they took for granted. Many expatriates and citizens alike welcome the decision to rebuild the area, but also look back at the cherished memories and emotions connected with the glorious monument which was the face of Bahrain for almost three decades.

Othman Janahi, a Bahraini national said, “GCC roundabout was in my route to work on an everyday basis. I will never forget the smell of the freshly cut green grass when I pass there and the huge white monument that represents the unity of the Gulf Counties. It was also in my way back home after a long day at work and will never forget the sound of the fountain nor the lights that brightened the pearl on top. That was all before 14 Feb 2011.”

But he further added, “As much as all Bahraini's are connected to the scene of that monument, I am truly thankful for the decision of demolition it, as now it will always remind us not of the beauty it had, rather it will remind us of the dark days that our beloved country has gone through and suffered dearly.”

“In all its grandeur, the Pearl roundabout truly held a big place in the hearts of everyone living in Bahrain., It definitely was the face of cosmopolitan Bahrain, built on strong foundations of its rich traditions and culture. Everyone who loves the beautiful country of Bahrain will miss the Pearl Roundabout dearly, as it goes down into the annals of history and Bahrain marches forward,” said former resident and lndian citizen Devan Surendran.

In the opinion of British national Charles Wilcock, who has been in Bahrain for over 25 years, “It was a symbol of the country. I remember my late father jokingly nicknamed it ‘dog bone’ roundabout. Now the only way we can see it will be on the 500fils coin and on postcards. The roundabout brightened the skyline of Bahrain, long before the new buildings came. The coloured lights on it during the evening took one’s breath away. It will be missed.”

Many students form different schools in Bahrain look back on how every project they did about Bahrain had a picture of the roundabout. Others reminisced how they found locations by following the Pearl in the skyline.

Ehsan Kooheji, said on twitter, “My oldest memory of Manama is around the mid 1980's, with my dad, uncles and their friends playing cards on the grass near Lulu.”

Another interesting memory was of Mrs. Fernandes. “The first time my husband and I took a picture together, it was at the Pearl Roundabout. That is one of the fondest memories of our life together. We will always fondly remember the monument.”

“Every time I would go past the roundabout, I would remember my daughter Priya's words when she was small. She used to say: Pearl Roundabout, there's a ball up there. Our late Amir, Sheikh Isa put it up there". She used to tell her that Sheikh Isa used to play basketball and one day, he threw it really high up and it got stuck there,” said educator Natraj Sarma.

Munira Awadhi tweeted about her joke about the Pearl Roundabout, “Told baby bro that the pearl on the top of Lulu was a dragon egg, he believed that for 2 or 3 years.”

For Bahraini teenager May Faris, the fondest memory of the Pearl is when she used to left a playground nearby during an Eid to run under the sprinklers and then sleeping on the grass, and her parents carrying her home after that. But she id glad it is removed, “Funny that it had no political implications at the time, sleeping there. We need to move on with the future, without the memories of the graffiti and mess made out near that.”

“I remember how as kids, it used to be a mammoth task to cross the roads and get under the Pearl roundabout and all the passers-by totally amused at the weird-pose photo shoots that we used to have there. Negotiating the Pearl was the ultimate task for almost any new driver in Bahrain always. Also, there were a lot of jokes surrounding it like "Hey dude, what if they had constructed this monument upside down with the pearl on the ground??" reminisces Sreejith Sudhakar.

Aamna Mohiuddin, a Pakistani, who lives in Saudi Arabia but comes often to Bahrain for classes, tweeted, “Too bad I never got to see Pearl Roundabout up close, now I never will. But I guess it was the right thing to do.”


Waqas Rasool who is of Pakistani origin had another point of view. “Having seen the Pearl for last 25 years of my life just made it an object passes by as I looked outside my car window. Up until now the construction of the new flyover made me wonder why the Pearl left was untouched. For whatever reason the Pearl was brought down will now leave mixed feelings in the minds and hearts of many. This can also be the dawn to a new rising.”

Ancita Martin, who lived near the Pearl said, “Every tourism brochure of Bahrain always had image of the Pearl Roundabout. BTV never missed an opportunity to show it off. It was a symbol of home to me because I live very close to it. The Pearl at the top, to me, signified Bahrain's riches in the form of resources as well as its people.”

She continued, “Having said that, since the 14th of February, it was the place of terror. Chants and sounds echoing from the Roundabout had scared many for the past one month. The beautiful monument was turned into a dump by surrounding it with garbage and littering it. It was filled with graffiti and that too against the people who built it. The Roundabout had bitter memories for all of us. I am glad that it's removed. Things are not always the same and as for the Roundabout, it's time to move on from it.”

Filipino national, Imelda Cruv stated that this was the way forward. “There were plans before as well to demolish it for infrastructural development. And now it happened. Let’s pray and hope that this would mark a new beginning of unity and development on this country we call home.”

Just minutes after the news of its removal broke out, the social networking world was filled with comments like RIP Lulu Roundabout, and everyone mourned its loss, but with a hope for a greater future.

In her tweet, Nour said, “Let's hope the demise of the Pearl roundabout brings birth to Pearl and pure hearts filled with love and peace.”


[Excerpts published in Daily Tribune, on MArch 20 2011 - http://www.dt.bh/newsdetails.php?key=301110213450&newsid=190311191540]

3 comments:

Renjith P Sarada said...

Well said, Dilraz.
To be honest, the article made my eyes moist. Even though I had only much little experience when compared to that of many written here, I will never forget the tension I used to have when circling the Pearl Roundabout while driving. The judgement was often difficult during the initial days and I was feeling like I was doing a take-off of a commercial aircraft with a saturated payload.


The memoir potrayed of someone (sorry, I missed out the name) taking her first picture with her husband at Pearl Roundabout was very touching.

Let me check my album whether I have any pictures taken there!! Else, I want to buy one from a bookstore, to treasure!!

Thank you, once again!

Best Regards,
Renjith

Jals said...

Well written... Sad to see the GCC peacekeeping force cannot keep the symbol of GCC unity. I personally thought of taking a photograph of its night view long back.. but kept it pending and now it hase become a dream..!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments :)

It still is shocking to not see the Pearl while crossing that bridge. But time to move on I guess.