Monday 21 March 2011

Bahrain - My Part to Play..


Many expats in Bahrain, like me, have been born and brought up on this island. Our parents may not have the Bahraini passport, nor do we, but I wonder if that makes us any less citizen of this country just cuz the colour of our passport is not red. We are the community that has our origins in India, Pakistan, US or UK. Our parents migrated here decades ago, we have our livelihood here and Bahrain is where we call home.

I am as much Indian as I am Bahraini. I am equally proud of what each country has achieved and I will stand up for it if either country is in need. I will not say, I don’t stay belong here nor will I shy away from seeing its flaws.

We agree that Bahrain is not perfect; we agree that reforms were much needed, in the political front and definitely the media here needed be overhauled and reworked. There were also many who supported the cause of the protesters before it turned into anarchy. We heard their arguments and gave our feedback.

The cause they claimed all this was for was democracy, the power to elect their leadership, and maybe in the process stop discrimination. Somehow, living in the world’s largest democracy, I am not too fascinated by it. Yes we may elect the leader, but the kind of corruption and crime that we see there is unimaginable. Having a democracy does not translate into end of all problems and perfection. People protesting in Bahrain only want to see one side of it not the other.

Every system has its pluses and minuses. Different places have different people who have different cultures and requires different political set ups. I belong to one democracy does not have to translate to I want democracy everywhere. It is important to be open minded enough to accept that each country deserves the system which is best for it, even if it doesn’t match your ideologies.

The system in Bahrain was one of free education and medical care. Of welfare, where the unemployed gets money and everything is subsidized. Keep in mind that all of these benefits come without the funds being collected from the people as taxes.



A lot of expatriates also came out in public in support of the Royal family. Many reacted when expatriates stepped out in favour of the government here, saying “it is their internal matter, why do you interfere?” To these critics I have but only one question, “Would you stand back and watch when your house, your country is getting hurt? Would you say it’s not my responsibility and stay away?” When our country is in crisis, it is our right and duty to step forward.

Maybe we support the Kingdom ‘cuz we have over the last decades seen what Bahrain has been able to achieve under the Royal Family. Like I’ve said before, Vision 2030 sets out a strategy to achieve set goals by then, to make Bahrain one of the most developed countries in that time span. We have seen the infrastructural developments that have changed the face of the country in such a short period of time. I remember being fascinated by new buildings and massive changes when I visited every six months.

We have seen the education system here evolve; from when there was absolutely no option after grade 12 except the Bahrain University to now, when there are multiple institutions offering courses in engineering, medicine and even aviation. Even for those who don’t want to opt for these, there are institutions like NYIT and Birla and Globals which provide higher education.

The media has taken massive strides. We even have a desi private owned station here now. We have multiple newspapers in Arabic and English. Bahrain also prints Tagalog, Malayalam and Urdu newspapers here. Over the last month, state run BTV has struggled to keep us as updated as possible [though it might lean towards the government]. Yes, the media has come a long way but it still has miles to go. This week for the first time in history, BTV showed news bulletins in Tagalog and Hindi.

That in itself is a mark of respect and appreciation to the expatriate community. The Bahrainis have always had respect for the Indian and Asian and other expatriate community. We have always been welcomed with warmth, and given positions and salaries that make even the Bahrainis jealous.

Even through all this unrest, both protesters and the royalists have pledged their support and appreciation for the expatriate community. They have seen what we are capable of achieving, that we are sincere and hardworking and that is why we have been made part of the fabric of this nation.

The freedom that expatriates get in Bahrain to practice our own religion and culture is unrivaled. I have personally celebrated every Indian festival in all its glory here. My friends and I belong to that unique group that identifies with being at the best of what both countries have to offer. This country is what made many of us who we are. And given the chance many others like me will step out to support Bahrain and to work for its development no matter what passport they hold.


I am one of the large number of expats who have actively voiced my thoughts and concerns of what has been unfolding in Bahrain over the past month. I have also participated in one of the rallies in support for the government and I have also been part of both the Unite Bahrain videos.

For me and my family, the question of leaving does not cross our minds. This is where I was born, where my family had lived for almost thirty years, our home. The Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Bahrain have also assured that they will do the best to keep us safe. I trust them and I trust Bahrain.

3 comments:

Johnny said...

Nice post. My hope and best wishes for the future of Dilmun to you.

Unknown said...

you support the Royal family

I support democracy

why don't make a poll for Bahraini people and see who has the most voices?? fair enough

well, THAT ALL WHAT WE PROTESTERS WANT !!!! simple and plain...

Unknown said...

Thank you Johnny. Appreciate the comments.

And Mr. White, it is one thing to support democracy. If all protesters genuinely did that, then they would have agreed for dialogue, esp. when CP was offering a fully empowered Parliament.

These changes cannot happen over night, and a few protesters took the wrong approach by blocking BFH and the country's main highway. There's no reason to hurt a country like that.

I think we all need to now get together, and get talking and see how to rebuild this beautiful country.